Monday, October 20, 2014

MicroAquarium Setup

In my MicroAquuarium setup, I used a tiny aquarium with a lid and stand. Then, I extracted water from source number one. This water was taken from Tommy Schumpert Pond, Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge. I took water from several regions including from the top, off of leaves, and an example from the bottom with lots of sediment. I then placed several pieces of green moss and another green plant to provide oxygen for the tiny ecosystem inside. After completing my setup, I observed the aquarium under the microscope. While observing, I noticed two organisms. One seemed like a worm or possibly a nematode, which was mostly clear and contained a bright band throughout the center. I could not name the second organism that I saw, but it looked like a tiny insect. The water did not appear to be dirty, but when I looked at it, I found a significant amount of life thriving.



No comments:

Post a Comment